Thursday 20 May 2010

Why is it Wrong to be Gay?

Well that's the question on my mind having just seen the 9pm BBC News report a few minutes ago this evening Thursday 20 May 2010.

The report, that is, of the Malawi Court decision to sentence two gay men to 14 years hard labour, the second case decision by that court in one week of its kind, and, we are informed because the laws the learned judges cite are those dating back to the Colonial Era.

When I came home this evening I was not even thinking along these lines.
And the answer to that question above?

I will shout it from the rooftops and I will defy every proponent who argues otherwise - of course it's NOT wrong to be gay! It is natural. It does NOT offend God and the sooner society generally comes to terms with this truth the better.

Of course there will be people who disagree with me. So be it. This is a democracy, a rather good one too as the events of the last 3 weeks have shown, and so yes - I am gay and I am proud to be gay and yes thank goodness I now have the confidence and wherewithal to declare this openly.

I am fortunate to live in Liverpool and work in Blackpool where tolerance is much wider than one might expect.

I also experience the smaller communities where, sadly, it is still the love that dare not speak its name (Oscar Wilde).

But let us move forward with the times. And to those, especially of the older generation or the pew brigade, who believe that it is some sort of epidemic that is going to consume every male and wipe out society I say simply this.

Get real. Stop panicking and stop moving along that path that another group of people led a nation along 70 years ago and which put my people along with the Jews and Gypsies and Mentally or Physically Incapable onto those cattle wagons and then said that it was God's work being done!

When I was in the Police Force in the 1970s and concurrently serving in the armed forces I was on a double whammy for this was still the time when to be me was to be officially classified as mentally disordered. In both careers, I was walking a tightrope and eventually the pressure was too great, my health gave way and I was invalided out of the police force.

Today, many young people still suffer. In this country we are now more enlightened but in other countries such as Malawi it is not so. To young people I say, quietly stand your ground, don't be put down and be strong and confident in yourselves. To older people who are still in the cloest, cupboard, call it what you will, think about the pressures you are placing on yourselves. But think this too. Your sexuality is entirely your business; it is not in the public domain and you do not have to account for it unless you are getting into trouble because of it.

In short, live correctly and decently and to the nosey parkers (I could use stronger language but it would be wrong to do so and would misrepresent my people too) just remember, it is none of their business.

Live for the day.

I AM WHO I AM. If you want to see that in full, go on to Amazon UK or USA and look up 'Idle Thoughts' by Ian Bradley Marshall. It's well worth a read. I wish I had had it to read when I was in my 20s. How different life would have been.

Ian Bradley Marshall
LIVERPOOL

Thursday 20 May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment