Friday 24 December 2010

Lightness of Foot?

With reality TV increasingly making demands on public figures, it is inevitable that participation is going to sometimes backfire. I guess these shows can be fun for the participants as well as the viewers, but there is always a price to be paid.

In my article 'Parliament Square' I was genuinely pleased to refer to strong government and referral to the business secretary as being one of the four key strengths. They say a week is a long time in politics and this must surely be true for Mr Cable. Lightness of foot on the dance floor is one thing. Clodhopping through Westminster is quite another and I have never been keen when a person feels that they are perhaps indispensible.

I suspect that Mr Cable's view of himself as holding a nuclear option must have been minor in comparison to that delivered to him by the Deputy Prime Minister, not to mention the Prime Minister and of course his cabinet and party or coalition partners. I had genuinely believed that Mr Cable was a man to be trusted. That trust was misplaced and I would even go so far as to say that when the reshuffle comes about, then perhaps then is the time to return Mr Cable to the back benches.

Regardless of what the Opposition says, we do have good government for the first time in several years. And it takes guts and tenacity to carry through the policies that are being advocated and implemented by the PM, DPM and Chancellor and, until last week, the Business Secretary. This good governance is seen in the speed within which Downing Street has reacted to Mr Cable's stupidity, some would say arrogance, others would say impudence. Overnight a huge part of his department has been transferred to the Secretary of State for Culture - the reality and seriousness of this can be seen in that it requires the movement of some 70 civil servants!

Many years ago, I was faced with a member of staff who felt he was indispensible. He played his card and threatened resignation. I accepted his arguments and said that I agreed. He sat back in the armchair opposite my desk. I thanked him for his work and explained that in accepting his arguments for change, much of which was already being implemented, I accepted of course his resignation.

There was some spluttering and exclaiming that 'you cannot do that!'

"On the contrary Mr {} I can, I will and I have done." And my own commanding officer accepted my decision without hesitation, gave me his unconditional support, and thanked me for keeping my nerve.

It was a salutary lesson to all. Let none of us think that we cannot be replaced.

That is what I believe the British People will do by and large now. They do see the strong and effective leadership from both the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister and will endorse the decisions made.

But I make no bones about the fact that I have not enjoyed writing this piece this evening, for Mr Cable has earned my respect over the last 18 months and then thrown it back. Like many others in this Country, I am not impressed by public figures becoming figures of entertainment when they are in the job of governing the country. They can do that when they retire.


On a separate matter, it is unfortunate that the Chancellor made that comment in the House. I do not however accept that it was a deliberate homophobic remark. So to those who insist on arguing otherwise I say, shut up, get on with your job; stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.


The Government must not, however, be complacent. It is very worrying to see that in their haste to sell off Royal Mail they have left a loophole that could see a foreign owner in due course remove the Queen's Profile from our postage stamps; and to read too that BAA is owned by a Spanish family based company, and that E-ON too is foreign owned and also the former P&O Line.

Ian Bradley Marshall
LIVERPOOL
22 December 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment